Saturday 25 January 2014

Bowel Balls !

Sorry - just couldn't resist that title !

I'm being admitted for surgery tomorrow and I am ever-conscious of the effect that anaesthetics and pain medications can have on bowel habits !  I am also informed by my 'Enhanced Recovery Nurse' that I won't be allowed to go home until I have moved them (my bowels that is!).  She did tell me I would be allowed to bring in foodstuffs into the hospital with me, just not medications.  With all this in mind I have concocted some 'Bowel Balls' which I suppose could be more appropriately called 'Digestive Truffles'?!!

Anyway, whatever you would like to call them, we now understand their purpose and so is a pic of my finished product ...

... and here is my recipe ...


Ingredients:
½ cup ground flax  seeds 
½ cup ground goji berries, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds
¼ cup oat bran
2 tbsp cocoa powder
½ cup ground oats
½ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp ginger
¼ tsp turmeric
1 tsp dandelion root powder

1/2 cup good quality peanut butter or tahini
Fruit Puree* (I used just prunes for my purpose, but you could use any dried fruit)
Honey
Little water to mix if needed


Mix up dry ingredients and then mix up the fruit puree, honey, peanut butter and a little water until it forms a reasonable 'dough' you can work with.

Roll this mixture in balls and roll in a coating of desiccated coconut.



*To make the dried fruit puree, if you fruit is not already 'hydrated' and ready to ear ...
Soak one cup of dried fruit in two cups of warm water overnight.

Strain the fruit but keep the liquid because this will contain a lot of nutrients and can be drunk on its own to help bowel health. 

Place re hydrated fruit in blender and blend until you get a creamy paste like consistency.


Enjoy !  See ya soon ... El x




1 comment: